Monday, October 24, 2016

Good Girls (In Nepal)


I am a proud Nepali girl, but when you are one the girls in your family your elder female member start giving advice on how to be a good girl. The following advices not all given to me, some of them are what given to my elders by their elders.So some of the advice (not all of them) I have received are:

1.Speak with respect
No matter how bad people are talking about you or someone you love, if the person talking those kind of thing are elder than you or is elder in relation than you, don't talk back to them. It doesn't matter what they say, you don't talk back.

2.Never use swear word

It always come to your family and how they raise you, if you are from a good family you'll never use any swear or cuss words.

3.Wear makeup
 Wearing a makeup plays a great role on determining the character of women (or that is what they say). Wearing too much of makeup is also questionable for your character.

4.Be religious
I am not atheist but I am also not a religious one, and my grandmother keeps saying me I should pray to god, go to temple, and take fast(s) because that will make gods happy and they will shower me with good life.

5.Always dress up
Dressing up is always a topic of discussion while a grandmother(s) and granddaughter(s) are in the same room, they don't like our(granddaughter's) fashion sense because they think we are only wearing a piece of cloth to wrap our body.

6.Learn to cook
To be a better girl/woman you must know how to cook. If you cook a delicious food then you are a good girl, you'll make your husband and in-laws happy one day.

7.Long hair
The longer your hair, the better your character is , that is what i have been told.

8.Never show your pain
Well this is more applicable with a married women, no matter how hard your in-laws or your husband is making your life, never ever share your pain with another person, keep it with yourself.

9.No Boyfriend
You are judged as a bad girl or bad person if you have boyfriend or you are in a relationship. But it is ok for them to choose a guy, you have never met and older than you and get you married to that person.

If these are the rules for me to fit in to be a "good girl" in my society then i don't mind being a "bad girl" because at the end of the day my appearance and your judgment doesn't define me .

No comments:

Post a Comment